Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Coach in the Day

Something has been nagging me.  To write this post.  So I am sitting down to do it.  Because there is always something getting in the way.  Something else that needs to get done.  But this post has been written in my head for quite a while now.  So I am doing it.  God clearly has something for me to put out there.  So lets see where this train takes us, shall we?

Are you coachable?

My family and I take taekwondo.  We all love it.  Sparring made me nervous though.  I was talking to some instructors one night after class.  In discussing my thoughts and fears, one of them said well it depends on if you are coachable.  Will you listen and try and get better?  That really resonated with me.  A lot.  I decided right then and there that I would be coachable.  Who wouldn't do that, right?!  Well it stuck with me.  I think about it a lot.  What would make this time of being coachable different?  Have I always been coachable?  Several things occurred to me.  I don't remember the last time I considered myself coachable.  Sure I would listen to you and what you had to say, but would I actually do anything different....nah probably not.  I knew what I was doing.  I knew me.  How could you possibly know what I really need?    (Oh that is good stuff right?!)  One of the 4, 567,932 things I love about my husband is that he does not want to be the smartest person in the room.  What? is what you are likely thinking.  But it is true.  He says there is always stuff he doesn't know and always something new to learn.

Hmmmm could this be true?  But surely I know a lot.  And BAM reality hit.  I don't take well to people telling me what to do.  Go figure.  But in the case of sparring, if I didn't listen I could get hurt or hurt someone else possibly.  So I need to do something different.  Yay.  I just love stepping out of my comfort zone. (that is dripping with sarcasm in case you missed it).  I try now and be more of a sponge and soak it all in.  Clearly these people teaching me have done this a few million times already.  They may in fact know something I dont.  More truthfully is that I know nothing and I need to learn.  But to learn I have to listen to the great and not so great, and well, down right ugly.  Again my husband and all his sage wisdom teaches me a lot as well.  Like when he calls all excited about how he got kicked in the head (we all wear protective gear so no one gets hurt) but he continues on about how he needed to block better and he blocked the next kick.  He is an extremely smart man.  Who doesn't  want to be kicked in the head.  Obviously.  Learn from people.  Listen to people.

Sitting in Bible Study this morning and just listening.  Lots of people had something they wanted/needed to share.  I kept wanting to jump in because I had something to say as well but the lesson was on Listening.  So I sat back and I listened.  We are studying Jeremiah by Melissa Spoelstra (it is a really wonderful and meaningful study so far).  She was talking about how if we sit down and tell someone things we want to get off our minds and then we walk away.  How does that help our relationship and what is accomplished?  My thoughts went back again to "Are you coachable?".  God wants us to listen to him.  To seek him and to hear him.  We can hear his word, we can pray certain prayers but are we listening to what he is telling us??  Are we letting him mold us into who He created us to be?  Are we coachable??

My journey in life and in my faith is exactly where it needs to be.  I am now much more coachable.  I am trying to listen more.  And not just listen but to hear and act accordingly from what I heard.  God is still here.  Still with us.  Still relevant.  But do you hear Him?  And when you do, will you listen?  Will you be coachable?  We may give up on God but God never gives up on us.

Dear Lord,
Help me to be coachable today.  To hear you and do your will.  I am not the smartest person today so let me learn from the Great Teacher.

In Jesus' name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment