Monday, November 26, 2012

The Service in the Season

    I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We sure did. It was filled with food, family, fun, and of course doctors.  But that is another story for another time.  Everyone is okay so no worries.  We had family time and got our Christmas tree up.  I love this time of year.  People are generally happier (when not in traffic or shopping).  People seem to come together more.  But I have always loved Christmas.  I think it is the whole spirit of everything.  This year I thought about doing an advent calendar.  One of service.  I don't think I am that great at service but I want to get better and I want to teach my daughter.  Well I stumbled on a pin on pinterest.  I had a free moment while my husband was working out and my daughter was sleeping.  I decided to actually read it, you know instead of just pinning and moving on.  I could not be happier that I did.  It was a total God thing!
    The blog is http://lillightomine.com/index.php.  Her project is called Light 'Em Up!, the slogan is "Families Light Up the Community with Kindness".  Wow.  This was what I was looking for and did not even know it.  She talks about bringing God glory this season and remembering that it is all about Him and not us.  Teaching her kids what is really important this time of year.  She has ideas, printable tags, well just about all the resources you need to do this.  I printed it out and talked it over with my husband.  We split the list of 100 and circled things we actually thought we could do.  There ended up being 24.  Now they will likely be done in chunks not everyday, but it is such a big step in the right direction.  I was so excited about this.  I just wanted to share with everyone.  She says something that made my heart smile , " The unofficial Light 'Em Up 2012 No Mom Guilt Pledge:
1.     I am a mom with mouths to feed, etc. – this isn’t the #1 priority
2.     I have other Christmas traditions that are good and worthy
3.     If I don’t implement this, I am still a great mom
4.     If I try this only on one day, I am still a great mom
5.     If I see a mom that goes nuts with this – I can celebrate her and not condemn myself
6.     I do not have to plan every detail – I can leave room for what might just happen if our hearts are open to the needs around us.
7.     No matter my budget or ounce of craftiness  - I am open to see how this might work – my family, our way"
This made my heart smile because mom guilt comes so easy.  I beat myself up over not doing enough, not being able to pay off someones layaway, not being able to do the HUGE gift card, etc.  This reminder to me was so great.  It told me that our 24 was great.  The 2 a week I had originally set as my goal was great.  I can try.  I am open to this and more.  I am a good mom.  Sometimes I need to hear that, and as I set my heart on a new path I needed that.  This is something I can do.  My daughter may be 3, but she can hand out candy canes (and eat them) and I can start the foundation for a new tradition with our family.  There are  lots of ways to serve this year and every year.  I also want to bring notice to http://www.small-comforts.org/index.html. 
 This is an organization trying to help kids who are being placed in foster homes by giving them a back pack filled with essential needs and hopefully a fun thing or two that they can call their very own.  These kids are often taken away with nothing.  They want to help give them security, dignity, and ownership.  Please let me know if you need more information about this group or how to contact them.  
Anyway, there are lots of people who need thoughts and prayers this time of year.  Help of any kind is always wanted.  If you decide to Light 'Em Up, I would love to hear how it goes! If you have any ways you and your family do service, I would love to hear that also.  I love this time of year.  God bless you!
Whitney 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment