Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Reminder in the Chaos

  I apologize since it has been a while since I last posted.  I guess I just have not been able to put together a fully formed post.  They all seemed half formed.  I am not sure if this one is full formed but I am going to do it anyway.  I need to.  Today was such a huge reminder for me.  The election was yesterday (no I am not going to get all political on you, you can find that elsewhere).  The election elicited lots and lots and lots of responses from all walks.  Good, bad, ugly, all of it.  I myself woke up a little snide and snarky.  I was not thinking good thoughts.  I felt I was in fact thinking very un Christian thoughts.  So I did what should always do (I am working on it) as my first response,  I prayed.  I prayed for God to remove such thoughts from my head.  He alone gave me the willpower to not speak them aloud.  That is a huge feat for me.  Truly.  But more and most importantly, He reminded that while the offices held on earth are important, that is not the office that matters.  Our King, Lord, God, Savior is the office that matters.  Eternal focus is so important.
    Now don't get me wrong.  I love my life here on earth.  I love what surrounds me.  But when I look around at what truly matters and what truly surrounds me, I find God.  Everywhere.  It is because of Him that I am where I am today.  I am more grateful and thankful for that than I can express.  I praise and thank Him everyday for it.  But, if He said, leave it all and come to me, well thats what I would try and do.  Earthly possessions are not eternal.  They do not go with us.  Our society is so materialistic that it breaks my heart.  I read somewhere on Facebook today, paraphrased, that God wasn't in the election because for the most part we have kicked him out of our lives.  Think about that statement.  Think of all the things that they have taken out of schools, removed from history, and said we can't say.   My husband and I went to the opera this past month.  A congresswoman, who just got re-elected, asked everyone to stand up and say the pledge of allegiance and sing the national anthem.  They can't do that in schools but we can do it at the opera.  People care so much about what they have, the newest phone, the coolest car, the trendiest clothes, but what about the things that matter.  Today I felt like I was in constant prayer.  Constant prayer to think better thoughts and keep my focus on the eternal.  I know that when my Savior comes, all the tears, deaths, heart break, sadness, illness, poverty, etc...will be no more.  What will it matter who was in what office and drove what car, when we are seated with the Lord.
   I struggle everyday to be the Christian, mother, wife, friend, etc. that I am called to be.  But everyday, I pray about it.  I pray for God's guidance.  Today I remembered that some of the things I have been struggling with I haven't really prayed about.  So I did.  Now, I wait and I pray.  We have such a wonderful, gracious, giving, forgiving, patient, and kind God.  We need to turn to Him.  Not to hatefulness or gloating, demeaning and condescending to others.  We are meant to be a community.  A community of faith.  A community of believers.  I am finding a new community that has welcomed my family into their arms. Community is out there.  Sometimes you just need to find it.  But check and see where your focus is for that community, earthly or eternal. God is in control.  Don't worry so much.  He's got this.  And I am thankful to be His!
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment