Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Some Obedience in my Disobedience

         What do you want to be when you grow up??  Still don't know??  Me either!  I have wanted to do and be many things over my lifetime; a lawyer, a clown, a writer, a chef, a therapist, and I think a cat at one time too.  I never once imagined where I would be today.  I have asked the question "What do I want to be when I grow up?  What can I do to help people?  God, what is your will for me today?".  For quite a while now, I have felt called to write.  Now I have written poetry a long time ago, I have started several books in my head and a few on paper.  I thought about a blog.  I dismissed all of the thoughts and just kept going with my daily life.  It was still nagging at me, but I was great at making excuses as to why I could not possibly do this task.  I don't have the time, I don't want to put my self out there that much, What am I going to say, Who cares what I have to say...and so on and so on.  Well, I started a bible study of Jonah, Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer.  I was immersed in a world of playing catch up on my "homework" for bible study.  I had 10 days of work to catch up on in a short period of time.  Boy oh boy does God work in mysterious ways.  The more I studied the more I felt I was being like Jonah and ignoring what was asked of me.  Then I realized that while I may not know where this is going to head and what I am going to say, it was clear I needed to obey God.  He can and will lead me.  So here I am, obeying.  Not something I usually do well.  But if there is one thing I have learned in my life, God's plans are greater, bigger, better than anything I can dream of or imagine.
          So, the name...the peace in the river.  I was doing a bible study (I don't remember which one...but it was a Beth Moore), and in the video Beth said something to the effect of the bible says peace like a river, now picture a river....really picture it.  It is not always calm, it is not always clear.  There are ups and downs and rocks and rapids and a few calm moments.  Well, I am quite sure there was more to it and I am not claiming to be quoting her, but the idea and image stuck with me.  My life is filled with images just like that one.  So I try and remember to look for the peace in the river.  That is where the name came from. 
         My plan now...I have no idea.  In my head, I have written several blog posts of this nonexistent blog.  Now that it is a reality, who knows?  Today, I am just getting started.  Taking my baby steps of obedience.  Maybe later today, or tomorrow, or next week I will have more to say.  But it's a start. 
Whitney
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment