Thursday, September 20, 2012

One Moment

        Today I was thinking how important one moment can be in our lives.  It can really determine the rest of our day.  Today, for instance, we were out having a great time and in one moment the day started changing.  My sweet daughter was having a temper tantrum because another child didn't want to hold her hand at the time.  Devastating, I know.  Well, that just snowballed into tantrums about everything.  My reaction was one of here we go again.  My attitude started to not be stellar because she was upset.  I was already writing off the rest of the day because of one moment.  Now this is a trivial something.  Big something seems to be all around me right now.  A 10 year finding out she has cancer, relatives having cancer, unexpected surgery, a little boy going to be with the Lord, you get the idea.  Now while these are not all going on to me right now, they have at some point in time.  These are examples of sad, disappointing, painful things happening.  But there are wonderful moments going on all around us as well. 
          Two things come to mind today: our reaction to these moments and our recognition of these moments. Our reactions tell us so much about our selves.  Our ability to see the moments around us tell us about God.  Today, I needed to see this moment as just that, a moment.  It will pass.  If I let it ruin my day, it will show in my daughter, my attitude, my treatment of all of those around me.  I was in bible study yesterday and Priscilla Shirer gave an example that has not yet left my mind (I know its only been a day but still).  She had her friend hold a glass of water.  She shook her friends arm.  Water sloshed out of the glass.  Not ground breaking stuff there.  She said something to the effect that most of us look at the shaking in our lives and why the waters coming out.  She said the water comes out because that is what is inside.  When times are rough, and these moments happen, what's inside will come out.  It was a measure to me to see what that really is, when we are shaken.  There are many great Christian people, but what comes out when they are shaken do not often match their word.  I want to be many things when I am shaken, but I want God to come out when I am shaken because that's what's inside.  I want to see these moments and realize it will pass.  To stop it from ruining my day.  I want to look at the beauty all around me that God has let me recognize.  A beautiful cloud formation, the gentleness of my daughters smile, the loving embrace of a husband happy to be home.  There are so many moments that go unnoticed every day.  Today I am grateful to see a few.  In the midst of pain, sadness, annoyance, frustration, anger, joy, happiness, beauty, amazement....God is there just waiting to be seen. 
         I struggle with my temper some days.  I have a 3 year old who gets tired, cranky, and 3.  She is stubborn, obstinate, focused, hard headed, wonderful, joyful, amazing, beautiful, funny, intelligent, and Lord she is smart.  One thing I have realized about  my 3 year old is that she doesn't know how to vocalize and express her anger in ways that don't just piss me off.  When she is unhappy, she screams in my face.  Do you see my struggle?  She does something to express her displeasure or anger or whatnot but it is in a fashion that makes me crazy.  I want to react and scream.  But, Alas, I am not 3.  This is me recognizing that moment, when what I do makes a difference.  I want to help her, but I have no idea what to tell her to do.  And sometimes, let's just face it I want to scream also.  Some days I do great, some days I do not.  Today, I realized what a difference a moment can make.  Now I will start looking for those wonderful God moments around me.  Because I need it.  Maybe some one else does too.

Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment