Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Community in the Faith

    I have mentioned a few times that I attend a bible study.  I should say I am blessed to attend this bible study.  I started bible study 3 years ago.  These ladies took me in and helped me in ways I could never explain or convey to them.  In a few words, I am grateful, thankful, and praise-ful.  God designed this.  I know He did.  These ladies have guided me through so much.  They probably don't know they have, but they have.  I am one of the younger ones in the group.  I get to listen to their experiences and take in so much.  I love to try and be a sponge to absorb their wisdom.  Funny thing is I didn't used to believe in organized religion and things like bible study.   I thought I did not need a church or a place of worship.  If I needed God well I just talked to Him.  But through bible study I have learned that we are made for community.  The church is a gathering of believers.  We help each other.  Through the good and the bad.  We talk things out, we muse about things, we learn together.  I am a better person when I am in bible study.  I am sad that I resisted it for so long.  But, that is not the point of today. 
    I have been struggling with something this week, what to say, how to handle it, basically what can I do.  I felt powerless (which I am) and almost hopeless over the situation.  I prayed about it.  I talked with a person about it.  But then came bible study.  A lady was sharing something in her life and how God had moved her, and what he had done, and the grace he had shown her.  Something clicked.  Her one story gave me hope.  I told her that.  I expanded on my struggle with the group.  These ladies through God and the holy spirit moved my heart.  I had tears in my eyes but they did not fall.  They reminded me that God knows what he is doing, to look around at the blessings I have and be grateful for those, and that maybe just maybe what I was looking at as I negative in my life was truly a blessing from God.  I need to praise God for that.  It brought me back from anger, hurt, resentment, and pride.  Then we watched the video, and it was just like a smack on the head.  It said God is good at his job.  We cannot put God in a box.  To trust in Him and have faith in Him does not mean he will do what we want when we want.  Jonah pitched a temper tantrum because he had expectations of what God was going to do once he was obedient and God did what God needed to do.  I don't know what seeds are being planted by my acts, nor do I know what kind of a difference I am making by trying to walk in faith.  God is good.  I may struggle now but I can see the blessings in my struggle.  I can see hope.  God's plans are greater than mine.  I need to stop trying to put him in a box with my plans.  It is not about me.  It is about Him.  He is so great.  And I hope I don't for get again that He is Good at His Job!  Praise God!  Are you struggling with something right now?  Sometimes that community in faith can help.  God works wonders.
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment